About the Company
Avis Budget Group (ABG) is a leading global provider of vehicle rental services, both through its Avis and Budget brands, which have more than 11,000 rental locations in approximately 180 countries around the world, and through its Zipcar brand, which is the world's leading car sharing network. Avis Budget Group operates most of its vehicle rental offices in North America, Europe and Australia directly, and operates primarily through licensees in other parts of the world. Avis Budget Group has approximately 30,000 employees worldwide and is headquartered in Parsippany, N.J. Avis Budget Group is a global leader in the evolving mobility marketplace. For our shareholders, mobility means seizing opportunities that will increase our overall value through strategies that expands the use of our technologies, fleet and employees, opening new markets, increasing revenue and margins across all our brands; and maintaining our leadership as an Innovator in the expanding mobility market.
Avis Budget Group, Inc. is a public company, traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol (CAR). More information is available at www.avisbudgetgroup.com.
About the Role
Serves as the Senior Legal Adviser covering the Company’s global business and legal efforts regarding Mergers & Acquisitions, Mobility Industry Investments, Innovations in Technology & Business Strategies & Methods, and Litigation Management. This role also includes counselling a variety of in-house clients at all levels regarding the implications of the applicable legal and business challenges related to the aforementioned areas. Additional roles include building, maintaining and utilizing, for the Company’s benefit, a network of professional relationships. This lawyer will also manage the work of external legal counsel and that of less experienced attorneys, paralegals and administrative staff. This lawyer will sit on an award winning panel that manages the Department’s Legal Transformation Program. In the past 2 years there have been a number of articles published on the Department’s accomplishments; and the Department is the recent recipient of the Financial Times’ (2018) Innovative Lawyers Award and the American Corporate Counsel’s Value Champion Award for Innovation (2017). The position reports directly to the General Counsel.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage various domestic and international projects and deadlines.
- Typically participates in the most complex legal projects by assisting in the development of and support the Company’s global business strategies, goals and objectives, by serving as a true business partner; balancing risks appropriately against business objectives, and discerning issues of real importance from minor ones.
- Provide leadership with respect to particular matters, clients, colleagues and others.
- Review litigation claims and assists with recommending next steps and resolving disputes prior to mediation or trial; and manages outside counsel.
- Recommend changes to contracts, franchise documents and lease terms to protect the organization and reduce costs.
- Work independently on tasks to manage projects, negotiate and close domestic and international business transactions, manage litigation and implement global Company policies.
- Keep the General Counsel well informed as to matters handled by the lawyer or that may otherwise come to his/her attention.
- Always work and set a tone of unwavering dedication to the highest of ethical standards in compliance with both the letter and spirit of the Company’s Code of Business Conduct.
Successful Candidate Will Possess the Following Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent analytical and research ability, written and oral ability, attention to detail, and ability to work independently and in teams.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and closing acquisitions and divestitures.
- Experience with financing and investing in companies from early stage start-ups to long established companies
- Experience making nuanced recommendations and business decisions based upon the facts, applicable law and the Company’s culture.
- The ability to speak fluently in lay terms to a range of audiences about the business goals, legal priorities and challenges of the Company.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to handle a fast paced vigorous schedule.
- Travel requirements could be extensive at times.
We are an organization where values matter; the Company expects its employees to maintain the highest levels of Commitment, Integrity and Responsibility, while achieving results in a collaborative framework through engaged teamwork.
Avis Budget Group recognizes that our employees are the most critical factor to the Company’s success and we are committed to professional and personal development, and the individual achievement and well being of our employees. We offer a comprehensive array of employee training and leadership development programs to help broaden skills, enhance talents and achieve personal satisfaction.
Compensation Package and Benefits
We provide a competitive salary as well as bonus potential based on individual and Company performances, in addition to comprehensive benefits that include Medical, Prescription Plans, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Basic and Voluntary Life and AD&D and 401K Savings Plan (with company match of 6%).
- Admitted to practice law by the bar of at least one State in the United States of America.
- Minimum of 12 years practice in a corporation or law office; with some of those years of practice including handling complex transactions and litigation outside of the United States of America.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary, based on job location, department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by location, department, reporting structure or other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.
Avis Budget Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
A valid driver's license is required for all positions. Drug screening is a part of our hiring process.