Manager of Federal Advocacy- Advocacy External Relations
Do you have experience with federal advocacy initiatives and programs? Apply today!
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension is a faith-based healthcare organization dedicated to transformation through innovation across the continuum of care. As one of the leading non-profit and Catholic health systems in the U.S., Ascension is committed to delivering compassionate, personalized care to all, especially to those most in need. In FY2019, Ascension provided nearly $2 billion in care of persons living in poverty and other community benefit programs.
Ascension includes approximately 156,000 associates and 34,000 aligned providers. The national health system operates more than 2,600 sites of care – including 151 hospitals and more than 50 senior living facilities – in 21 states and the District of Columbia, while providing a variety of services including physician practice management, venture capital investing, investment management, biomedical engineering, facilities management, clinical care management, information services, risk management, and contracting through Ascension’s own group purchasing organization.
What You Will Do
As a Manager of Federal Advocacy
Ascension, you will have the opportunity to provide oversight of key federal advocacy initiatives and programs to support the organization and serve as the senior strategist and principle lobbyist on federal legislative issues, in partnership with the Senior Vice President for Policy & Advocacy, to represent Ascension’s interests before Congress and the Administration.Responsibilities:
- Monitors federal legislation and supports federal legislative work.
- Serves as a key leader on the Advocacy team to identify public policy priorities and opportunities, shape advocacy messaging, and develop and implement Ascension’s federal legislative policy strategy and agenda.
- Principal liaison with State Chief Advocacy Officers (CAOs) on federal legislative policy issues.
- Works in partnership with the Senior Vice President for Policy & Advocacy, Regulatory Counsel, Manager for Advocacy and State Policy, CAOs, and external consultants to craft our federal policy priorities and strategy.
- Serves as the principle lobbyist on federal legislative issues. Coordinates and implements efforts to communicate Ascension’s advocacy agenda to the Hill through letters from Ascension leaders, grassroots engagement from Ascension associates, and direct engagement with Members of Congress and their staffs.
- Monitors federal legislation and, with the guidance of the Senior Vice President for Policy & Advocacy and the collaboration of the Advocacy team, serves as the principal person responsible for supporting Ascension’s State CAOs in their federal legislative policy and advocacy work. Maintains robust and collaborative communication with State CAOs to maintain alignment between different Ministry Markets within Ascension.
- Extensively researches federal policy issues and is responsible for initiating processes for Ascension to take consistent and appropriate positions on federal policy issues that are aligned with Ascension’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Develops and maintains grassroots initiatives and implements grassroots lobbying efforts.
- Supports ministry markets and subsidiaries in their federal advocacy efforts carried out as part of the coordinated ministry wide function advocacy strategy.
- Supports and participates in the activities of federal advocacy, including passage of legislation and working with congressional committees.
- Works in partnership with the Manager for Advocacy and State Policy to take responsibility for periodic surveys of State CAOs to determine level of satisfaction with system office support and to prepare annual reports of Advocacy’s contributions to the achievement of Ascension’s Mission,Vision and Values.
- Coordinates Advocacy fly-ins for Ascension personnel.
- Provides important feedback to the Chief Advocacy Officer on State and System Office Advocacy personnel for performance development purposes.
What You Will Need
- High school diploma/GED with 2 years of experience, or Associate’s degree, or Bachelor’s degree required
- Advanced degree within healthcare is strongly preferred
- Law degree is preferred
- 3 years of experience required.
- 3-5 years of Capitol Hill experience is strongly preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Ascension is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf” Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
Ascension participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E-Verify (link to E-verify site)
About this company
St. Vincent’s Health System encourages its nurses to provide personalized, compassionate care for all patients, regardless of what they’re struggling with, and we give you the resources and support to do it. We want a collaborative environment, where nurses work side-by-side with skilled providers in both patient care and deciding policy. We believe in balancing high-touch with high-tech, and that reputation draws patients to us from more than 40 Birmingham-area zip codes. When you join St. Vincent’s you become part of Ascension, the nation’s largest non-profit and largest faith-based health system, which is recognized nationally for its commitment to quality, safety and healing.
Location/Region: Washington, DC