Headquartered in Lynchburg, VA., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 5,200 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, VA.; Erwin, TN.; Mount Vernon, IN.; Euclid, OH; Barberton, OH; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com. Chemist
- Provide daily support to a Quality Control Chemistry Lab -Work is predominately inorganic in nature
- Oversee, troubleshoot and perform established analytical chemistry determinations consistently and accurately
- Generate procedures for analytical chemistry determination geared towards meeting required precision and accuracy requirements. Review/comment/modify on existing procedures
- Develop and perform new chemistry related R&D efforts
- Train and qualify quality control technicians to perform analytical chemistry determinations
- Perform calculations in order to complete assignments.
- Assess and approve results from analytical chemistry determinations performed by self and quality control technicians
- Author and review reports and technical submittals to customers
- Interpret product specifications from a chemistry perspective
- Conduct meetings, meet with customers, vendors and representatives from other departments
- Prepare cost estimates for new and existing contracted work as needed
- Solve a variety of technical issues related to analytical chemistry determinations
- Participate on process improvement teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or other physical science related field
- Experience in a quality control analytical laboratory (preferred inorganic in nature) is desired
- Experience operating analytical instruments such as ICP-OES, ICP-MS, XRF, Pycnometers, Surface Area Analyzers, automated titration units and IC units is desired
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems is desired
- Proven ability to work with high level of attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment
- Demonstrated success authoring technical reports
- Self-motivated. Shows initiative with minimal supervision
- Capable of leading multi-discipline teams
- Minimum experience 2 years’ experience in a Quality Control setting
US Citizenship, with no dual citizenship is required for this position.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.
https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf Nearest Major Market:
Lynchburg Nearest Secondary Market:
Location/Region: Lynchburg, VA